Skip to main content

Adventures in Central PA: Thousand Steps


There's a little sign marking this spot along the road between Huntingdon and Mount Union (Mt Union is famous for the Creation festivals each summer). We've driven by dozens of times and I've always wanted to stop and climb the steps. Check out these Google search results for more info on the history here.
Three days ago some friends were planning to do this and we joined in.
If you do this, go with people older than you. We went with some teens who bounded up the mountain like it was nothing.

These really aren't steps as we know them. They are boulders fashioned into a climbing area. Some are thin, some are thick. Some are tilted, some are straight. Some are wet from a natural spring, most are covered with pebbles and rocks.

An up close look at what is next to the steps

There are some parts that are pretty steep. Going up was difficult. I'll admit, I slowed the group down. My heart was pumping so hard I could feel it in my ears.

My friend and I making goofy faces. It was either that or die. 
The steps are marked at every 100. Was so happy to finally get to this one.

View from the top. I want to do this again in October when the leaves are changing.


Views along the path

Another view.

Found a lizard that lives up there. 
I was unaware that we had lizards in PA. I know that we have salamanders but didn't know about the lizards. This is about the size of reptile that I like. Glad we grow them small here.
We didn't see any other creatures on our adventure. A man we passed told us that there was a big black snake at about step 800, but by the time we got there it was gone.

I do want to do this again. Next time though I am taking a walking stick with me. I would have liked something to steady myself, more so on the way back down. The way up was a heart pounding workout and my legs burned. I was sure I was going to be sore, but it was the way down that was treacherous. The uneven steps, the tilt, the stones on them. I felt like an old woman as I did them sideways, one at a time. 
You also have jello legs by then.

Three days later and I can tell you that I only had a little pain from this workout, and it was in my calves.

It took me 35 minutes to get up there.

I will do it again.
 

Comments

  1. I'm glad you got to go! Scott and I were doing the Insanity work out at the time we went, and it didn't help us one bit. I was pretty sure I was going to die before I got to the top. Thank goodness for that little spring by the steps. It provided a refreshing drink! The view at he top is certainly worth it, but you're also right about the walk down. It's pretty terrifying because your legs are wobbly, but at least it was easier to go down! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s