Thursday, February 26, 2015

I'm a Self-Righteous Goody-Goody Prude and I'm Okay with it






Over the years I've been called self-righteous.
I've been called a goody-goody.
And I've been called a prude.

All by Christians.

And I'm okay with it.

See, I'm not trying to please you. I really don't care what you think of me. I'm trying to please God. His opinion of me is the one that counts.

I was not invited to the wedding shower of a woman at a previous church because they were going to play raunchy games (one woman later told me that the games were so bad that she had to pull over and vomit on the side of the road because she was so disgusted). Another friend told me that an invited guest said, "I'm not going if Suzanne is invited." Because she knew how I'd react.

When I was twenty I attended the bridal shower of a cousin. Some of her friends arranged for a male dancer to entertain her. When he arrived and started removing his clothes I immediately stood up and walked out of the room. A few others followed me out of the room and later my elderly aunts (who didn't get up and leave...) told my mother that they were proud of me for taking a stand. 

I've always believed that the Bible is true and that we are to do what it says. 

I believe that there are a lot of people who call themselves Christians, who at one time believed and accepted the love of Jesus, who have never grown in their walk with God, and who--when they get to heaven--will hear Jesus say to them, "Depart from me, I never knew you." (Matthew 7:23)

I believe that many are being deceived, they think that they don't actually have to do what the Bible says. 

James 1:22 "Be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves." This means that unless you are DOING what the Bible instructs, then you are deceiving yourself. Deceiving yourself into believing that you can do whatever you want to in this life because you are forgiven by grace or that it's "under the blood." 

The thing with deceit is that it is so subtle that you don't realize you are being deceived.

Hear me, accepting the Lord and living by His grace does not give you free reign to do whatever you want to.

Each day you should be trying to please Him. You should not be the same person Christian that you were a year ago, a month ago, a week ago.

While you may look at the Bible as a book of rules, once you enter into a relationship with Jesus and you get to know Him you will realize that these are guidelines to protect your body, your mind, and your soul. They are for your benefit. To save you from yourself.

Philippians 4:8 
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

He is telling us what to fill our minds with. 

Filling your mind with filth will not have positive results.

When I was in college God spoke to me very clearly and told me that I was not to watch any R-rated movies. I haven't seen one since. I didn't even see "The Passion of the Christ" because it was R. I think He might be okay with that one, but I don't want to chance it. When He tells me something I do it. It is for my own good.

When He told me to quit watching certain TV shows (The Office, Castle) I quit.
He has His reasons. Who am I to say no to Him when He asks me to give up something? He gave His life for me. 

See, I'd much rather please Him than me.
I'd much rather please Him than please you. 

Psalm 37:4 has become my life verse
"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."

It's taken different meanings to me at the different stages of my life, and it has always been true.

See, truth doesn't change.
Sin is sin and will always be sin.
Sin will always separate you from God. 
You cannot continue doing whatever you want to and think that He is okay with it. You cannot fill your heart and mind with trash, act however you want, and call Him yours. 

Because He will say that He never knew you.

I have, in the past, called people on their actions. I've questioned them on things. They've responded with seething anger and have told me that I'm judgmental. But isn't that we are supposed to do? I would rather offend you and make you angry, yet give you pause to think and perhaps get right with God than never say anything and watch you lose everything.

I'm not saying that I do it right. Nor do I have all of the answers. In the deepest places of my heart I want nothing more than for you to one day be in heaven with me. 




1 comment:

  1. Tweeting and pinning this!!! I am proud of you too!!!!!! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated due to spammers and mean people.