Skip to main content

Adventures in Blair County: The Phoenix

You already know that the man and I love to go out to lunch on his day off. There are a handful of places in our town that I will eat at. It's not that I'm a picky eater, I just try to be a healthy eater and that alone eliminates most chain restaurants. I will eat at Chipotle (because they have high quality standards and I know that they use the best ingredients that they can find) and I recently had an organic "bowl" of something at Panera. I can't remember what it was. It was very salty though--that's saying a lot for me, I probably won't choose to go there, but if forced to at least I know they have an option for me. 
So that leaves me with just five other places in our town that I will eat at. Five.
The Phoenix is one of these. I wish I had discovered this gem sooner than last year. I had no idea that we had food this good in Altoona. We first went last year with a group of people after sending our kids off to the prom.

It doesn't look like much from the outside and it's not in the most attractive part of town. But don't let that stop you. Look how nice it is inside:

I never would have guessed that it was like this inside based on the address.
They made me very happy last year when they decided to open for lunch. Here is their lunch menu: 
In addition to the menu they also have daily specials.
And these little parmesan crusted fried noodles are your free "chips and salsa"
They are seriously addictive. 
On this day one of the specials was an ocean perch sandwich with fries--it's what the man got. 
I forgot to take a picture of my lunch. But you can believe me when I tell you that I got one of the specials too. I got the steak salad (minus dressing and cheese). It was very good, and made with real lettuce and not iceberg. That is another reason that I'll only go to five restaurants in town. Iceberg shouldn't ever be allowed to be on a salad. It's not good. Not at all.
It was also made with real steak. As in, "How do you want your steak prepared?" steak. Not those steak-um things. I still shake my head when I see a restaurant trying to pass that stuff off as steak.

For dessert the man ordered a slice of coconut cream pie. He cannot pass this stuff up. Especially when it's made with whipped cream topping instead of a meringue topping. 
If you're looking for a special place to go out for dinner then I recommend The Phoenix. Everything is wonderful. We took my parents there several months ago and my father said that the calamari appetizer he got was the best he's ever had. Ever. 
Check out their website here
They are located at 300 4th Avenue in Altoona.
You will not be disappointed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s