Skip to main content

Psalms, Confessions, and the Prayers of a Friend


Deep breath.

For years I've struggled with a crazy fear of being in a car accident. It impacts my travel. I stress for days before a trip and end up working myself up so much that I rarely enjoy my time away.

Last weekend we had a guest evangelist at our church. He spoke on Sunday morning about forgiveness and on Sunday night about letting go of the things that you are holding onto.

I didn't have anything come into my mind that night that I needed prayer for so I prayed with other ladies.

Then Tuesday happened. 

We were planning to leave Wednesday morning to take our daughter and her friend to Cleveland for the Taylor Swift concert. I'd never been to Cleveland and had no idea what we were going to do while we were there and while the girls were at the show. That in itself was stressful to me. I'm used to downtown Pittsburgh where there isn't much to do within walking distance of the stadium/concert venue.

I was stressing most of the day on Tuesday about all of this, including the drive. 
The words of the evangelist came back to me and I knew I needed to humble myself and confess my fear and worry to someone and ask for prayer.

Earlier in the day while I was considering all of this, I hopped onto Facebook and saw that one of the doctor's that I follow (a nutritional doctor) had asked his followers what they do for stress.
One person answered: Read Psalms.

A few hours later I was reading a murder mystery novel and one of the characters mentioned that when she is stressed or worried she reads Psalms.

Hmmmm, you might think, maybe someone is trying to tell her something. 
Yeah, maybe, but she's a little dense at times.

So back to the part about needing to confess my problem and ask for prayer. My sweet friend and I walk several times a week for exercise. I knew she was coming over soon so I mustered up the courage (and humility) and confessed everything to her while we were walking, and asked her to pray for me. She prayed outloud while we walked and as she prayed that weight just lifted off of me and floated away. I actually felt lighter.

And it stayed gone.

That night, at about 10:30, I received a text from her that simply told me I should read Psalm 91.

At this point I'm thinking, Okay, God, I totally get it now, You want me to read Psalms.

I posted that chapter last week. It was exactly the words that I needed.

We went on our trip, and even though a car stopped on the highway right in front of us, in a construction zone (to ask a construction worker a question...yeah...) we had an uneventful trip.

The city was perfect, and the man and I shared a chocolate brownie explosion at 10:00 at night. 

What is better than that? 

Comments

  1. I love Ps. 91 and have read it so often that I may actually have it memorized! It is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s