Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Clean Up

I've been cleaning up some areas of my life the past few months. Ridding myself of things and situations I don't need to be part of. Most of this is in the realm of social media.

Social media can be a real drag.

I totally said that in a Marsha Brady voice.

Facebook affords us the beautiful option to unfollow people yet remain friends. This is like letting a light shine over the dark world online. People share too much stuff that I don't want to see.

No. I don't want to see your injury.
No. I don't want to see a meme littered with words I don't use.
No. I don't want to see your bikini pictures.
No. I don't want to see Isis beheading videos.
No. I don't want to see your posts about the great sex you have with your SO.

I want to see your puppy playing with your kids.
I want to see your birthday celebration.
I want to see the good things that happen in your day.
I want to see your struggles.
I want to see your home cooked food.
I want to see your new haircut.
Unfollow is brilliant.

Another I've taken advantage of is unlike. I used to follow/like some celebrities until they began posting nothing but political rants. I don't care for it from either side. I liked the man who shared pictures of single gloves he found while running until he allied himself with things I disagree with. I liked the Christian celeb who shared pictures of her life until these began to be pictures of her drinking with her friends and adult children. Just one little click of the unlike button and the burn that these created inside of me went away. Poof. Gone.

I've left behind some FB groups I was part of when lines of belief began to blur. I am not a confrontational person by nature. I don't like being accosted in real life or from behind a computer screen. I don't like the feelings that these situations stir within. I strive to live a life of peace and if things I once held dear have to go, so be it.

You don't have to be part of it either.

Instead of adding stress to your life, instead of involving yourself in online arguments, why not remove yourself from the situation? Sometimes it takes more courage to be silent than to dive in and try to influence people to your way of thinking.

Proverbs 17:28 says it best, "Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues."

Instead of trying to change others I'm changing myself. Cleaning things up as I go.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated due to spammers and mean people.