Skip to main content

Spilling Over

We met our son for an early birthday celebration. He chose a Korean restaurant for lunch and as I ate I made sure not to get any of the spicy red sauce on my white shirt. I left the restaurant a little too proud of myself. We wandered in and out of a few shops before stopping at a coffee shop where I ordered a medium ginger peach tea. I let my hot cup sit on the bar by the window to cool down a bit while we caught up with our son. I got excited during our conversation and used my Italian hands to emphasize my point, knocking over my drink that I'd not even sipped from.

It. Spilled. Everywhere.

Can I tell you that there was way more in that cup as it came out than was actually in the cup? It was on my hair, my face, my white shirt (whimper) and my jeans. I was covered, front and back and side. It spilled onto and in my purse and on the newly upholstered stool (as in, the man redoing the stools was still carrying in the new cushions....), all over the counter and onto the floor from both sides. If I'd collected it I'm sure it would have filled two cups.

I was mortified as I made the long walk to the car for a change of clothes, knowing I was now that girl who spilled her drink, and was very thankful that we'd been out of town for a few days so I actually had a change of clothes. I wasn't injured in this, save a bruised ego.

I was thinking about it later and was reminded that it touched everything. All that was in the cup spilled out and got all over. It stained and saturated. It reminded me that what we put into our lives spills out into other areas of our lives. We can't continue to put in bad things without them leaking out. 

I recently read Brant Hansen's Blessed Are the Misfitsand he discussed the fruit we drop when we are bumped into. The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23)  The same could be said about what is spilling out of us. If we are centered on the Lord and are filling ourselves with His word, His thoughts, and doing the things He asks of us then the above will be seen spilling out of us, we will overflow with these things. If we are filling ourselves with things of the world then we will show the evidence of it. Filling ourselves with the things of God needs to be a daily occurrence if we want to grow in our relationship with Him. Too many people claim to be Christians but have never gotten past the one-time prayer. It's so much more than that. It's becoming transformed by the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:2) every day. Sometimes we need to leave the things that hinder us behind. Attitudes, activities, even relationships can hinder us. Be mindful of what you're doing and be willing to fill yourself with what you want spilling out of your life.

It saturates every part of you. 



*Highly recommended, look for this book in November

Comments

  1. I can so relate to spilling things...

    Thank you for the reminder to fill myself with the things of God!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s