Skip to main content

Work Out

I've regularly exercised for most of my life. Not because I love it, but because it benefits me; it loves me. As a child I spent most of my time on my bike, in a pool, or playing Freeze-Tag or one of its variations, TV Tag anyone? When I grew older I had an indoor exercise bike that I rode to nowhere. I took an aerobics class in college taught by a teacher who was in love with James Taylor, Fleetwood Mac, and Don McLean. 

Somehow jumping around to, "Bye-bye Miss American Pie," didn't get my heart rate up, though it did give me shin splints in both legs. Sigh

After I married I bought a treadmill and continued my quest for fitness. Then came babies and the treadmill was another rack for my clothes. 

I joined some health clubs over the years:

The karate place - smelled like feet, I couldn't get past the stink.

The women's-fitness-in-a-circle place - the small talk was dizzying.

The Judgement-Free-Zone place - too many people, too many machines, too much of other people's sweat on the machines....ew

I didn't fit in at any of those places. It took time to realize that this introverted woman was much happier working out in the comfort of her own home. Alone. With only the dog to watch. I went shopping and bought myself another exercise bike and I, once again, daily ride to nowhere. 

I realize I'm different than most people. But I'm okay with that. 

See, I'm used to being different.

1 John 2:15-17
15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. 16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. 17 The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.   (NIV)

Romans 12:1-2
1Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.  (NIV)


I don't feel comfortable in certain environments because of who I am. And I don't feel comfortable in this world because who I am in God. The world offers me things that look like I'll enjoy them. Certain television shows, attitudes, entitlement, fashions, and even things disguising themselves as Godly. I've learned to listen to that feeling of discomfort, that check in my spirit, that knowing whisper that this is wrong.

It's a daily sacrifice to not do what the world is doing. Everyone --even other Christians -- may watch that show or read that book or say those words, but that doesn't make it right. We need to be less concerned with being culturally relevant and more concerned with being Biblically grounded. The Word of God should be our standard, not what popular blogger so-and-so says. I've been called a goody-goody by other Christians and it makes me sad. Not for myself, because I'm not living to please them, my focus is on living to please the one I'm spending eternity with and if He wants me to avoid something then I'll do it. I feel bad for those who have been blinded by their own desires, who can't see past the moment, who are missing out on the victorious Christian life that God is offering. 

There is so much more He has for you. If you could grasp it you'd never let go.

Just like working out every day strengthens my body, working out our salvation strengthens the spirit. Stretching hurts, I don't enjoy the different moves that the fitness instructor on YouTube teaches me, but it feels better afterwards. I've found I'm able to move a little easier each day. Stretching our spiritual lives is much the same way. 

When you begin to spend time in the Word and allow God to speak to you through His Holy Spirit you're drawing closer to Him. Each step closer to Him takes you further away from the world. That's how He intends it to be. That's how He causes us to shine. That's how our light can be seen. The world is watching, be the light. Be different. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s