Skip to main content

I'm Just Me.


Sometimes I think that people think more about the words I say than I do.

I've recently been approached by several people who wanted to clarify something that I said during a friendly conversation.

This happening once didn't mean anything to me at all, but after a couple of more times I started to wonder why this was happening.

I'm not being harsh or crude. I'm just having a casual conversation and the person I'm talking to is later going over my words and reading things into them that aren't there.

The following are made up examples of this:

Me: "I don't like the color green" (okay, well that part is true but I can guarantee you that my friend Marissa has never taken this personally!)
The person I'm talking to:  She must not like my new green dress that I had a picture of on Facebook last week, and I guess that means she doesn't like me.

Me: "I could never be a waitress" (okay, well this is true too, but only because after the third or fourth trip to a persnickety person's table I'd be like, "Go get your own ketchup because I'm done dealing with you" My friend Cory was one of the best waitresses I've ever seen and my friend Jodi loves her new job at The Olive Garden and I'm sure she's perfect at it because she's got that type of personality. Perhaps it's the introvert in me that shivers at the thought?)
The person I'm talking to: She must think she's better than me because I'm a waitress


Do you see how ridiculous this is? Trust me, I am bold enough that if I need to tell you something I will. I will never try to send you a message in disguise. I don't have the time or energy to spend thinking up ways to tell somebody something.

When I'm having a conversation with someone it's just a conversation. There is no underlying agenda. There is no secret code. It's just me, being goofy and unguarded.

I walk away and rarely give it a second thought.

Like you would if you were talking to a cashier and she commented on your pack of Big Red gum and you told her that you didn't like it but were buying it for a friend.

It's no big deal, right?

These are the things that are hard for me as a pastor's wife. I'm just me.

I'm just me.

Just me trying to love my Jesus and let Him work on making me more like Him.
I know that the position comes with somewhat of a pedestal, but please don't put me up there. 

I'm just me.  





Comments

  1. I have the same problem. I do my best to be kindly honest. I think close friends can tell each other anything .....hey, do you know you really need a camisole with that top, that color does not really flatter your complexion, you need a mint, you have some parsley in your teeth.....and I appreciate all of these if they need to be said to me. I think the world is too sensitive, so caught up in social media that they hardly know how to have a real conversation, and lets face it, some personalities are negative and thrive in turmoil. Often our differences allow us to see another viewpoint, different ideas, and allow our uniqueness to shine. Thank goodness we aren't all the same! Keep being you! You are wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s