Skip to main content

Chinese Church

This past weekend my daughter and I visited a Chinese congregation in a nearby town. We'd been wanting to do this for a while and the timing was never right. The English service was set to start at 9:30 so we arrived about ten minutes early and went inside. Before entering the sanctuary we visited the bathroom.
I've since been told that this building used to house a Christian school and I suppose that those were the folks who painted the ladies bathroom to look like this:

  Is that not lovely? I melted when I saw it. What an excellent reminder for young women (and old ones...)

After finding a seat we were surprised that there weren't many people there. Right before the service began the white pastor came up to us and welcomed us, mentioning warning that they ask visitors to stand and introduce themselves. When the time came I stood and gave our names and where we were from. Soon we were greeted by almost every person in the room, which had filled up over time. People kept arriving for the service until 10:10 I'm not sure if they were late or were just early for the 10:45 Chinese service.

These were the warmest, friendliest people. We loved worshipping with them and want to go back.

Now for the part of the story that you're expecting. They had communion. The cups were filled almost to the top (my church fills halfway, which I am so thankful for because honestly, grape juice makes me gag). They ran out of cups and one lady across the aisle from me raised her hand in protest. The pastor said that they didn't have enough for everyone. I felt really bad. Like, here I was just visiting and she really wanted to take communion. I leaned over and gave her my cup. I then told my daughter we would share because there was enough in there for both of us. She handed it to me, I sipped and handed it back. Our hands collided and the juice spilled all over her brand new dress. I felt so bad. Told her to run to the bathroom and douse it with cold water. I waited until the service officially ended and then went straight to the bathroom to assist. 

We then quickly snuck out and left. I felt like we bolted. I wanted to explain and hope that they didn't think we were offended in any way.

We spent the rest of the afternoon shopping at Trader Joe's, Plato's Closet, had Thai for lunch, shopped downtown, checked out a Chinese grocery store, and then went to a friend's surprise 40th birthday party.

That was our weekend adventure. Did you do anything fun last weekend?  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s