Skip to main content

Small Changes: What You're Drinking-The Lemonade Chapter

 

Is there anything more refreshing on a hot summer day than a glass of lemonade? One of my favorite summertime memories is of going to the Washington County Fair and indulging in a big tall glass of ice-cold lemonade made with fresh lemons, right there in front of me. I loved watching them shake it up and make sure it was mixed just right. Then, that first sip, there was nothing better. 

While at the store last night I snapped some pictures of some lemonade in the refrigerated section. I didn't take any of the powdered kind, because, well if I need to explain that to you then we better start all over. Ha ha ha. There is nothing in powdered form that you should drink. It is all artificial. And it doesn't taste good.

Here are four examples

This one is Newman's Own. The ingredients look pretty good, similar to what I'd use if I was making my own at home.


This one is Simply Lemonade. It doesn't look bad either. I'd still choose the Newman's based on the ingredient list.

This is the store brand. They messed up when they added the high fructose corn syrup. No way would I drink this.

This is one from Ritchey's Dairy, a local company. This has to be the worst of all. Granted, there isn't any corn syrup, but they added yellow #5, and they use concentrated lemon juice. So while you think that buying local products guarantees a better item, think again. This should not be ingested.   
  Ideally, you should make your own lemonade. Here's one recipe I found by doing a quick Google search. Here's one from Paula Deen.

Lemonade with some mint leaves. Now, doesn't that look yummy?  
*Lemonade should not replace water as your main summertime drink

Remember, just because they sell it in the store doesn't mean you should eat it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s