Skip to main content

Small Changes: Peanut Butter and Jelly

I eat the same thing for breakfast every single day. Most people think it's weird, I just think of it as fuel to get my day started. I was never big on cereal, mostly because I don't like milk. Other than a little splash of it in my tea I don't drink it.

I start my day with an organic brown rice cake with peanut butter and jelly on it. It works for me. The peanut butter provides protein and the jelly provides the yum.

I prefer the Lundberg Farms brown rice cakes. Brown rice is a good carb, white rice is a bad carb. White rice has no nutritional value and turns to sugar in your system. Brown rice is a whole grain and is a much better choice. 
I get the lightly salted ones. I find these in the organic food section of my favorite grocery store.

Now, let's look at some peanut butter and jelly. For the peanut butter I just chose Skippy because it's a brand that everyone is familiar with. I prefer the natural peanut butters, but if you don't like the texture of them and want the smoothness that you're used to (like Jif or Skippy) then read on.

 Pictured above is regular Skippy creamy peanut butter. The ingredient list includes hydrogenated oils, these are the oils that are bad for your heart and will raise your cholesterol levels.

Below is the same creamy Skippy, but it's the Skippy Natural peanut butter. Same taste, fewer ingredients. Better ingredients.

  
   Another option that Skippy offers is their Skippy Natural with honey:

 These all sit beside each other on your grocer's shelf. They have the same amount of calories and cost the same amount of money. Choosing the natural version is one small change that you can make without noticing anything because they taste the same.

Some friends of mine make their own peanut butter with only peanuts. I purchase a different natural brand that's only peanuts and salt. The taste and texture is a little different, but I prefer it now. It's not as sticky as conventional peanut butter.

With my breakfast I prefer apricot preserves. I just love me some apricots! Once in a while I'll switch it up with blueberry, but apricot is my favorite.

Here we have some Smuckers Apricot Preserves:
    Made with high fructose corn syrup, this is not the best choice.

Smuckers also offers a sugar free version:

 With a ton of ingredients. Including Sucralose (Splenda) and yellow dyes #5 & #6. I consider Sucralose and Aspartame to be poison. Last week I accidentally ingested some and that verse in the Bible about poison not affecting you went through my mind as I prayed that the Aspartame would go right through my system. 
Anyway, back to the preserves. Why did they have to add in the yellow dye? What exactly did all of the other chemicals do to the fruit that they had to add color back into it? Think about that for a while. Scary stuff.

This is the one I choose. Same brand:
 Smuckers Simply Fruit has ingredients that I recognize. Again, these all share the same shelf. 

Obviously choosing organic would be better, but some things are just so expensive in the organic version that I have to make some choices. I choose the organic rice cakes and then the natural forms of peanut butter and jelly.

Read the labels! Your body will thank you in the long run.

Remember: Just because they sell it in the store doesn't mean you should eat it.   

Comments

  1. Suzanne, jam is so easy to make. I encourage you to try this. There are also no cook versions. It is nice to know exactly what is going into your body!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s...

The Tool Box

I can hear my husband clanging tools around in the garage. He's going through his twenty-four year collection and putting together a tool box for our twenty-two year old son.  Gulp. When did we become parents of an adult who is able to move out and live on his own? He's coming home tomorrow to collect the furniture he's chosen from our house and some other things. He's been gone for a few years but has always come home for summer and holidays. This time it's permanent. There won't be any more summers at home. I won't have to tiptoe around while he's still sleeping. I won't have to chase him out of the shower because he's been in there for a very long time. I won't have to buy Cooper cheese or boxes of Macaroni & Cheese anymore.  The tool box Wayne is putting together for him will last him many years. He'll hang pictures, tighten bolts, and fix small accidents with it. It'll stay by his side as he begins new chapters...

Sweet Zoey

 Zoey - August 10, 2020 When we found her I didn't realize I needed her. Sure, she needed us, she was living in woods, alone, surviving on whatever she could find. She was nine months old, the vet later told me when I took her in for a check-up, still unsure I wanted to keep this undernourished mutt. We'd been on vacation in southwest Missouri, near the Arkansas border, in the middle of the woods. I was on the porch when I saw her trotting down the dirt road. A little brown dog. I whistled and she stopped to look at me from across the lawn. Then she continued on her way. Later that night, the family was watching a movie we'd brought (no cable service out there!) and suddenly this furry face popped up in the window, scaring my husband out of his seat. We fed her some people food and went to bed.  She was still there in the morning. We asked around and no one knew where she came from. We fed her some more and she stayed. The next day we went and bought some dog food, f...