Skip to main content

Falling Away From You by Nicole Vinson Bingaman

Life has a strange way of handing us the unexpected. Sometimes in a good way and sometimes in a devastating way. My college friend, Nicole, learned this lesson on Thanksgiving eve, 2011. Her healthy twenty-one year old son took a tumble down thirteen stairs at home and ended up crushing his skull and in a moment, changed his life and the lives of his family. Taylor suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI) and instantly began a new normal. 
After a year of documenting his injury and sharing her life with her friends on Facebook, Nicole was contacted by a publisher who asked if she would be interested in writing a book to share her story with the world.
This book is raw and emotional and is the ache of this mother's heart as she struggles through her new life and misses her old one. The fact that this was handed to her overnight will break your heart.

I've been following her story since it happened and have kept her in my prayers. When it was announced that she was appearing at Webster's Bookstore and Cafe in State College I knew I had to be there. Not only to hug an old friend, but to support her.


It was good to see her again after many years. She always was a sweet lady and has grown into a strong woman who takes each day as it happens. If you are looking for a book to hunker down with over the next few wintery months then I urge you to check out her book. It will challenge you and give you hope. There is nothing like reading true accounts of our peers.
My Amazon review:
Falling Away From You is the true account of one family's heartbreaking introduction to the world of TBI. Traumatic Brain Injury is known as the silent illness because it isn't identifiable by simply looking at the injured person, there are so many levels to this illness and it is brought on instantly without warning. This is a very hard book to read because with the turn of every page your heart feels the anguish that urged Nicole to write down her words as she faced each new situation. Almost every day introduced the Bingaman family to another side of Taylor's new reality. If you know someone who is going through this then I urge you to get this book for them, it 
may help them more than your words ever could.

You can read more about Nicole's story here at her website. To purchase the book click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s