Skip to main content

My History with Fiestaware

It was either late fall of 1987 or early winter of 1998 when I first heard of Fiestaware. I was a freshman in college and it had always been my dream to see The Wizard of Oz on the big screen. A theater in downtown Pittsburgh was having a film festival and they were doing a double feature of That's Entertainment! and The Wizard of Oz so I begged up a group of friends (I can't remember who went, there were four of us) and we made the trek towards town. Parked and road the streetcar in.

The theater charged original ticket prices and original concession prices so it was a cheap evening of fun. My dream came true as I watched Dorothy navigate her way home.

During the intermission they had a giveaway and as they called out the ticket number I realized that 18-year-old me won a service for four set of Fiestaware. I had no idea what this was other than several heavy boxes that we then had to take back to school via the streetcar. Thankfully we did have a couple of strong boys with us.

I hung onto that Fiestaware for a few years and never used it. After being married for some time I decided to get rid of some stuff (because I love getting rid of stuff!) and had a garage sale. An old lady came and agreed to purchase my Fiestaware dishes for $35. I was thrilled and so was she. She arranged to come back later in the day with the cash and when she came it was dark outside. We made the exchange and she slowly backed out of my driveway and into the street. And across the street. And over the small hill into a field of dried cornstalks.

I don't remember much after that. I know she called her son and he came and somehow got her out of her predicament. I also know it was one of the stranger things that I've watched happen. It was in slow motion. She just kept going.

I didn't laugh then but I sure laugh about it now.

And that is all I think of when I see Fiestaware.

The end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s