Skip to main content

Ministry Moms




When my husband took his first youth pastor position the senior pastor’s wife gave me some advice I never forgot, “Just be you.” Those three words were a relief to my twenty-three year old self. They gave me freedom to find my way in this new life of ministry.

Everything changed when I became a mother. No longer did I have time, desire, or energy to go to every youth event. I was now responsible for a little person who relied on me for everything day and night. I decided then that my children would come before any ministry or church related activity. As I continued on this path I observed other ministry families lose their children to the world because mom and dad were consumed with the work of the church. My biggest fear was that my children would be sacrificed for the opinions and expectations of others. We’ve ministered in five separate churches over the past twenty-four years and I’m sure some of the people in the congregations wouldn’t even remember us.

Things were different at the second church we served. “It’s time to stop nursing your baby and get to work being more involved in ministry,” were words uttered to me by a full-time paid staff member. Her words hurt but I realized that I wouldn’t always have this baby at my breast, and there would be time later to lead a small group or women’s ministry.

I think it’s time to ditch the mindset that has pastor’s wives included in the package that pays one salary especially if she is a mother. Many ministry wives are forced to work outside the home and bring in income just to make ends meet. 

We only have our children for a short time. They are growing up everyday and will be on their own in a few short years. Their lives and hearts are yours to mold for this time. Yes, I want the people in our congregations to know God, but my kids were and will always be my priority. Their relationship with the Lord is more important to me than those of adults who have been in the church for decades. If adults can’t flourish in their walk with the Lord then they have deeper issues than whether or not the pastor’s wife is leading a small group.

When I strayed from my decision and took on ministry roles because it was expected of me I failed miserably. My heart wasn’t in it and God hadn’t been the one to tell me to do it. I had to learn to do what God was telling me to do, nothing more and nothing less. If it didn’t get done because I wasn’t involved then it probably wasn’t a great need.

You don’t have to do it all. There is always time later for ministry. I’m not giving you a pass to drop everything and walk away, I’m giving you the permission to say no. It’s okay to say no. The Bible study will still be there. The retreat will go on. The annual Christmas event will still happen. Don’t be bound by the rules of people. The expectations put on us by well meaning people can be crippling. Pleasing God should be our only goal.

While I never did win Mother of the Year at the annual Mother-Daughter banquet because I didn’t do enough in their eyes I knew my work at home was more important than any work in the church. Even when my name was brought up one January evening during the dreaded Annual Church Business Meeting,
“What does our pastor’s wife do? We need to see her doing more around the church.” Her question turned the eyes of the attendees toward me and I slunk down in my seat but I still kept my priorities in this order:
My personal relationship with Christ came first.
My relationship with my husband came second.
My relationship with my kids came third.
Church came after that.

If I was talking with someone at church and my son or daughter needed me I excused myself from the conversation to turn my attention to my child. I never wanted them to feel that the church was more important than they were or to take a back seat to the ministry.

While my children witnessed some horrible things at church by people who called themselves Christians, they knew that mom and dad were safe and that they were our priority. Our nineteen and twenty-two year olds are both still in love with Jesus, and our oldest is now a youth pastor himself.

I found a note in my journal the other day. I unfolded the decade-old paper to reveal an invitation scribbled in different colored markers:
“Your invited too a party!” it read, misspelled words and all.
“To mom, from?
Place: my room
Time 7 to 7:30
Tell me if coming pleace
Hope you have fun!
Party!”
This is what’s important. The opinion of someone who has already raised her children does not matter in the scheme of life. What is important is that my children were free to have a childhood full of love and laughter, knowing that mom and dad were always there for them.

I wish I could turn back time and go to that little girl’s party again.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s