Skip to main content

Dress Me Up

I admit, I've never been a trendy girl. Getting dressed has never been a favorite task. I'm happy in a tee shirt and jeans. Sweat pants that move with my every breath make me feel cozy. The 90's were a dream with the cotton knit matching pants and tops for one price. They even had their own bling so accessorizing didn't have to happen.

Along came my daughter, the fashionista. 

"Mom, get a different shirt," is now a common phrase in our home. She's generally right, one change makes all the difference. I go from being presentable to being dressed.

Because what we put on says something about us whether we admit it or not. 

I am a people-watcher. It's my thing. I'm also a conversation-listener but that is another post for another day. When I watch I notice everything from hair to clothing decisions to shoes. I've wondered why the mullet is still alive in Pennsylvania. Pondered why pajama pants are worn in public. Debated with my friends on whether it's too cold for flip-flops (they say no I say yes). I've seen some strange things but have thankfully never seen anyone running around unclothed.

Or maybe I have.

Many Christians go about their days not fully dressed because they haven't taken the time to put on the armor of God. He's given us what we need to be spiritually ready for our day but do we use the tools we have?

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people." - Ephesians 6:10-18

If you end your days feeling as though you've lost a battle perhaps you've not started your day dressed as you should.

The moment we accept Christ into our lives we enter into battle against unseen forces, a spiritual war only won with the right weapons, yet at the exact same moment we are given the weapons we need. We are able to look our enemy in the eye and tell him whose we are and to leave us alone. We are being taunted by him daily and can only overcome him when we are fully dressed and prepared for battle.

Use the tools the Lord has provided. Study His word and know it in your heart. The time will come when you need to know why you believe what you believe. Let God, and your relationship with Him, be real in your life. Let it come alive.

Once you do every day will be an adventure and you will want to jump out of bed to get dressed for battle.

Go ahead, you've got this.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s