Skip to main content

Broken


I skirted the issue for months, avoiding any hint of upheaval though I felt it to my bones. The closer I navigated towards the issue the bigger the signs were that there was something wrong. It was as though the, "I'd turn back if I were you," sign greeting Dorothy's friends in the forest as they sought the Emerald City was showing up on every path I set my feet on. 

I had a relationship in trouble.

The more stories I hear the more I'm convinced we are all dealing with at least one relationship in our lives which is in conflict and the key to fixing it lies on both sides. One alone cannot fix the damage. There are many reasons for relationships to end, some more heartbreaking than others, and some are best to let die while others should be fought for.  

All relationships require polishing in order for them to shine, pruning in order for them to grow. My husband and I didn't get to twenty-five years of marriage without effort. There were dents and scratches along the way, all in need of repair. Some were easier to fix than others but we didn't just put a bandage on it and hope for the best. We spent days, weeks, and even months talking, praying, and getting to the root of our problems. In working through the hard times we found our roots grew stronger and by holding on to each other in the storms we were better able to stand. We fought and won. We know we are still fighting and will continue to do so as life turns and new challenges arise. The growing and pruning is part of our commitment to each other. 

On the opposing side I've had friendships die that I didn't want to fight for. The time spent trying to keep them alive was exhausting, both mentally and physically. I realized nothing I said would keep them from falling down. They weren't as deeply rooted as I thought and my words fell into an abyss where they were met with gossip, sarcasm, and jealously labeled as guilt. True friendship will never demand the unreasonable or pit one friend against another. 

Some broken things are okay to let go of. The sooner we learn this lesson the better. Marriage is always worth fighting for*. If you are facing a trial in your marriage please know you are not alone and it is quite normal for issues to arise, you are two separate beings who were raised with two different backgrounds. There is help available, all you need to do is ask. 

I'd like to say my friendship was fixed but it was not. I simply grew tired of trying to fix it on my end while being met with opposition. I gave up and walked away knowing my hands were clean. Sometimes it's easier to love without being connected. Sometimes the broken can't be avoided and sometimes it's okay to let it go.



*If you are in an abusive relationship please know this is not normal and God does not condone it. Please seek help immediately.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s