Skip to main content

Stuck in a Rut

I've been pondering memories lately, filling in a journal that asks questions about my earliest remembrances. I think my earliest memories involve riding in a car driven by my mom. She and I are not a lot alike. I can stay home for days at a time and she needs to get out and go somewhere each day, even if it's just to get a newspaper or cup of coffee. It's no wonder I remember riding in the back seat, even tucked into a car seat before they were mandatory. For years a memory has floated around the periphery of my mind and I wasn't sure if it was something that had happened or if it was a dream from decades ago. I recently asked my mom about it and she laughed and said that yes, it had happened.

We were driving the back country roads in Rhode Island in the very early 1970's and somehow, maybe she was trying to turn around, got stuck on a rock. The car didn't budge. My recollection of this is vague, but I do remember pieces of the story. Mom tells me that it impacted me as a toddler because I muttered for months afterward, "stuck on a rock, stuck on a rock." It happened again a few years later, though a tree stump this time. I don't remember much of that story either, but I do remember the time a few years ago when she ended up stuck on a guard rail after escaping being stuck inside for a few days due to a winter storm. 

Being stuck is not a fun place to be, yet many of us find ourselves stuck and wondering how we got in such a situation because sometimes, doing the same thing the same way can stop our momentum and glue us to the floor. 

The thing with being stuck is that no matter how much you move around trying to wiggle yourself out of your situation you rarely succeed. Sometimes trying to get unstuck makes you stuck even more. 

This is true in many areas of our lives and often we don't know where to turn for help.

Mom was able to get unstuck with the aid of the friendly tow truck men. All three times. It isn't always quite that simple for us though.

Stuck in a dead end job.
Stuck in an abusive marriage.
Stuck in a cult.
Stuck in addiction.

These are places where it seems there is no way out, but God always has a way out. 

The job you hate may be a stepping stone to one you love. Dealing with problem people in the workplace is a part of life none of us want to partake of, yet when we learn how to handle them, when we gain maturity from the tension, we can propel into deeper levels of responsibility. A boss or leader who sees us being strengthened by the cords tightening around us will pause to recognize the way we handle ourselves. 

The wife in the abusive marriage can find a friend to trust, someone who can help her find a way of escape. The Lord never wants his children being abused. If this is you please find someone to talk to. If no one listens keep searching. I had a friend contact five pastors before one would listen to her and help her escape her abuser. 

If you find yourself stuck in a church body that is not what it had appeared to be and now you're threatened with being cut off from everyone you love, please know that God does not treat His children like that. He is the head of the church, not a man or a woman claiming to be His. Read the Bible for yourself. Learn it. Discover its truths on your own.

If you are stuck in addiction there is a better life outside of your cycle. Step back and look at your life. Are you happy? Do you want more for your children? There's a world full of wonder out there, there's peace, friendship, acceptance, laughter....You are worth so much more.

If you're stuck find the help you need.

Mom didn't sit and wait for help to find her when she was on the rock (or the tree stump, or the guard rail), she found someone who could help her. You can do the same. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s