Skip to main content

You've Been Dismissed



"Did you even read my email?" are words I uttered after a reply I received that felt more like a brush off than anything else. It left me feeling like I'd done something wrong and made me feel sorry I'd made a simple inquiry.

Have you ever felt dismissed? Like someone just didn't have the time to bother with you?

Several years ago I worked for a direct sales company and was winning recognition for my efforts. At a company meeting I had the chance to sit and chat with Kelley, one of the owners of the company, and as I talked with her her eyes were everywhere except for on me. I could tell she wasn't at all interested in listening to me and was sitting there only to appease me. Her eyes were searching the room for someone more important to talk to, someone else for her to connect with.

I hate the word connect. I know it's necessary and I've used it myself, but it seems cold to me. "Let's get together," has a more intimate feel than, "Let's connect." The latter feels businesslike and formal. 

I sat and talked while she was not present. I wanted to be heard and she didn't want to listen. That moment has stayed with me ever since and I've tried hard to make sure I don't have a Kelley moment of my own. That I'm not showing my boredom or acting as though I want to escape.

Oh come on, you know you've had those moments when you feel that way too. It's one thing for us to feel it and quite another to make someone else know that we feel it. I've been stuck in conversations I'd rather not be in. I bring it on myself though. I ask a question because I've found it's easy to get people talking if you ask them about themselves and as an introvert it keeps me from having to divulge too much about myself. Get them talking. That's my trick. Sometimes it backfires and I'm stuck listening to stories about Great Aunt Edna and her dentures. I try to remain present. I maintain eye contact, and yet I will admit to faking a phone call at least once. 

We all want to be heard. We want to be fully listened to, yet I've found that the only one who truly listens, focusing on me, is the Lord. How He can do that and listen to you at the same time is part of what makes Him God. He is that big. He is able to handle all of us with full attention at the same time. That's His superpower. Well, one of the many.

He never gets bored with me. I can't even say that about my family.
He always has time for me. No one else drops everything to listen to me. 
He does not look around for someone better to talk to.
He doesn't use me to get to someone else.
He keeps my secrets to Himself.
He never dismisses me.

"....God never overlooks a single one. And He pays even greater attention to you, down to the last detail--even numbering the hairs on your head...."  Luke 12:6-7 (The Message)


This is some serious love He's throwing our way. He listens. He cares. Always. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s...

The Tool Box

I can hear my husband clanging tools around in the garage. He's going through his twenty-four year collection and putting together a tool box for our twenty-two year old son.  Gulp. When did we become parents of an adult who is able to move out and live on his own? He's coming home tomorrow to collect the furniture he's chosen from our house and some other things. He's been gone for a few years but has always come home for summer and holidays. This time it's permanent. There won't be any more summers at home. I won't have to tiptoe around while he's still sleeping. I won't have to chase him out of the shower because he's been in there for a very long time. I won't have to buy Cooper cheese or boxes of Macaroni & Cheese anymore.  The tool box Wayne is putting together for him will last him many years. He'll hang pictures, tighten bolts, and fix small accidents with it. It'll stay by his side as he begins new chapters...

Sweet Zoey

 Zoey - August 10, 2020 When we found her I didn't realize I needed her. Sure, she needed us, she was living in woods, alone, surviving on whatever she could find. She was nine months old, the vet later told me when I took her in for a check-up, still unsure I wanted to keep this undernourished mutt. We'd been on vacation in southwest Missouri, near the Arkansas border, in the middle of the woods. I was on the porch when I saw her trotting down the dirt road. A little brown dog. I whistled and she stopped to look at me from across the lawn. Then she continued on her way. Later that night, the family was watching a movie we'd brought (no cable service out there!) and suddenly this furry face popped up in the window, scaring my husband out of his seat. We fed her some people food and went to bed.  She was still there in the morning. We asked around and no one knew where she came from. We fed her some more and she stayed. The next day we went and bought some dog food, f...