Skip to main content

Ace Holds the Cards




Ace wanders the neighborhood of his own volition. His mom once told me that he won't potty when he's on a leash so she just lets him wander. He meanders through each yard, doing whatever he wants, while she watches and tries to correct him.

"Come here, Ace."
"I'm sorry," she says to me as Ace approaches my dog (who is leashed). 
"No no, Ace."

And so on.

Ace is king of the hill, ruler of his house, master instead of pet. 
And Ace is only about four pounds.

Someone isn't playing with a full deck. Instead of leashing their dog they allow him to control their lives. They follow him around the neighborhood, cutting through yards, walking on driveways to get to the woods behind the houses. All because Ace won't potty while leashed. 

They are allowing a four-pound pet to control them.

If this is how a dog is being raised how are we parenting our children? It's no wonder America is in the state it's in.

Give them screens to appease them.
Apologize to your children when they misbehave.
Push them aside while we do what we want to.
Give them what they want without making them work for it.
Refuse to let them accept the consequences for their actions.

Ace has trained his parents to respond the way he wants them to, similar to how children behave. Raising children (and pets) well takes a lot of time and energy. It is exhausting. There's a lot of repetition. A lot of mistakes (on both parts), and a lot of tears. It's frustrating and can feel like a whirlwind in your mind at the end of a grueling day, but they need to be taught what is acceptable and what isn't.

I'm not saying I did everything right as a parent (dog parent and people parent). I have a twelve year old dog who still tries to get her way and we recently changed from a harness to a new collar for walking. This new collar doesn't allow her to yank or pull on the leash and she's forced to walk beside me. Gone are the days of her lunging for rabbits and squirrels (and assuring a trip to the chiropractor for me!). Gone are the days of her digging her feet into the grass and nearly flattening her sausage-like body (she's a little fat in her old age) so she can smell that intriguing scent. Did she enjoy this new collar? No. In fact, she scratched her face so hard the first two weeks that she made her nose bleed every day. I kept with it, forcing her to submit, because she's the dog and I'm the master. 

If I don't teach her how to behave she will try to take control. That's the way things work in dog-world.

Kids can do the same thing. 

Don't neglect your parenting. You are the adult. These little lessons you're exhausting yourself with every. single. day. are teaching them how to adult. Keep it up, mom and dad. 

And please, keep your mutt on a leash. 

*Don't get me started on the woman who drives with her dog on her lap, window open, dog barking and trying to jump out the window to get my dog....sigh. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s