Skip to main content

I'm Sorry



A few months ago a man stopped by the church on a Sunday morning before the service to talk to the pastor (Note to everyone: please don't do this, he has a lot on his mind already. Call the office during the week and schedule a time to meet with him). 

"It'll only take a minute," Carl said. The pastor, caught off guard, agreed to speak with him. "I wanted to apologize to you. I've been telling lies about you all over town and I need to make it right." The pastor was dumbfounded, but accepted the quasi-apology and watched as Carl walked out the door, convinced he'd done what he needed to to make it right. The pastor was left to preach his Sunday sermon with an arrow sticking out of his back. 

A similar thing happened on a Wednesday night as Alissa stopped by before Bible study to talk to the pastor. "I'm making things right with some people in my life," she said. And that was that. 

I was bewildered by these two confessions. Both feeling as though they'd apologized and made things right, but neither having done what they'd set out to do. 

If Carl, being concerned about making things right, had also said he'd begun to share the real story with those he'd lied to he may have been able to repair the damage he'd done. He needed to apologize to each of them and begin to right the wrong and set straight the false accusations he'd been making. Who knows how many in the community heard his stories, both from him and passed along by others. This is one way Christians turn people away from God and away from the church, by sharing false information. 

Alissa never made mention of exactly what she was trying to make right. She just said those exact words and exited.

We've not seen or heard from either of these people since. 

I'm glad they cleared their conscience, but isn't apologizing for a wrong you've done someone a little more than that? They may have thought they were absolving themselves from any wrongs with their drive-thru apologies, but instead they left behind a wake of confusion. Confusion that the enemy picked up like dropped arrows on the ground, loaded them into his quiver, and began to shoot. 

Sometimes I think it's better if we don't apologize. If we just ask forgiveness of God and change our ways. Hear me out. Yes, if we have an issue or an argument with someone then we need to make it right. But if we did something to someone, in this case spread lies around town about someone that they were unaware of, do we really need to tell them what we did? Can't that cause a bigger problem?

Carl and Alissa opened a vein of spiritual warfare that we had to fight because of their apologies. We had to forgive and let go, knowing that we couldn't do anything to repair the damage they had done. Knowing we couldn't do to them what they'd done to us. Knowing that we had to leave the discipline to the Lord. Because that's what He wants of us, as followers of Him. It's another example of denying self. 

How much trouble do we bring on ourselves? 

Most of it. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s