Skip to main content

God's Voice versus My Voice






Too often I hear Christians use the phrase, "God told me," followed by something they desire.

"God told me that house is supposed to be mine."
"God told me I'm going to have twins."
"God told me I should join this multi-level marketing work-from-home job."

And so on.

What they don't say is that it's their desire to have that house (that they can't afford). They want twins. They want a job that promises easy income. 

Yet the house is sold to someone else. A single baby is born. The work-at-home job turns into much more work than thought (and they quit and jump into the next one).

In planning for my daughter's tenth birthday party we invited a handful of her friends, just the girls she was closest to, for a day of shopping with limo transportation. One mother was upset because her daughter's best friend wasn't on the invite list. She asked me to invite Mallory, saying that Jesus told her I should and when I would not she told me that her daughter couldn't come to the party because, "Jesus doesn't want her to."

She then told her daughter what I was planning. Her daughter called mine and told her of the surprise. As we were getting ready to leave for the shopping trip mom appeared, dropping her daughter off at the last minute. 

Apparently Jesus changed His mind.

It's time to stop putting our thoughts, desires, and words into God's mouth. He doesn't need us to help Him. 

It's easy to get God's voice confused with our own or even with the voice of the enemy. Our knowledge (of situations) can influence our actions and our voice. We need to be sure we are hearing from the Lord before we step out and do something or say something. Sometimes it's obvious. Sometimes a behavior needs corrected (in alignment with scripture) and we need to obey even when it's uncomfortable to do so. Other times? Well...

I like to pray when I'm walking outside. Being in nature helps clear my thoughts and allows uninterrupted prayer time. I was praying for a young woman who was going through a difficult time and the thought came to me, I should buy her some diamond earrings so she knows her worth. I kept walking and the next thought in my head was, Give her your diamond earrings

Um. God, was that you? 

I usually don't question but this time I did. Because I'm a giver. I have no problem giving things away. I mail things to friends, give things if there's a need. It's just what I do. I was all set to give my diamond earrings away if that's what God wanted me to do.

I prayed about it and didn't get a clear answer.

Then I prayed, "If this is what you want me to do then please let _____ call me and tell me to do this."

I mentioned a specific person who I know is close to the Lord. And I didn't tell anyone about this situation. I kept it quiet and waited.

Months later my phone rang. I saw the name of the person I'd named in my prayer and thought, this is it. But it wasn't. They were calling to ask me my opinion on something unrelated. 

Sometimes we are too quick to act on what we think is God telling us to do something. Or what we think is His voice. And sometimes we just need to be silent and wait. 

Luke 2:19 tells us that, "Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart." 

This is after she's visited by an angel and told she would be carrying the Son of God. She didn't run around and announce what God had told her. She held onto it and thought about it often. Everyone does not need to know what God has whispered to you. Some things are not meant to be shared. This is when journaling is a good idea. Think you've heard from God about your future? Write it down so you can later go back and revisit it, or testify about what He's done. 

Our desire for something is not the same as what God wants for us. Sometimes they align, but that's generally when we are seeking His will and not our own. We are selfish people and we see things quite differently than God does. Before stepping out make sure it's His voice you're hearing and not your own. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s