Skip to main content

Alone vs. Lonely




A few years ago I attended an event in Florida. It was nice to escape the cold of Pennsylvania and travel south. Where that week the high temperatures were in the upper 40's. So not kidding. It was a golf event and my husband said he'd never been so cold on the course. While the men were golfing, the women were herded onto a bus and transported to Saint Augustine. I should add that these were all strangers to me. I'd met a few in passing over the years but didn't even know names. We got off of the bus and made plans to reunite at an appointed time. From there we were free to do whatever we wanted for a few hours. 

I began my adventure alone. Dodged a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade size crowd of elementary school field trip children. 

Seriously.
They were everywhere.

Felt like I was the frog in a game of Frogger. I just wanted to cross the street filled with children. 

Crowds in general are not my thing. Crowds of kids on field trips? Shiver.

I wandered the shops.

I visited a museum and basked in the history.



Button art 

This used to be a pool, now it's a restaurant



Found  a coffee shop and bought an English Breakfast hot tea. 

Found a spot on a cement wall near the water where I could just sit and drink my tea.

Throughout my adventure I came upon women from our group, none of them alone like me. At each encounter I was invited to join them. I think my aloneness make them uncomfortable. 

Even while I was taking the picture of my tea and boots one of them approached and asked if I wanted my whole self in a picture. I handed her my phone and she took this shot of me. On the wall. Alone with my tea. 


It was as if taking my picture somehow included her in my adventure and she could feel better that I wasn't truly alone anymore.

But I was perfectly content being alone. 

I think perhaps we can make ourselves uncomfortable when we see someone alone. As if they need to be included so we reach out and try to coax them to join us. Because together has to be better than alone.

There's a time for together and there's a time for alone. I'm happiest when I'm alone or with my people. Put me with strangers where small talk is required and I end up babbling and humor becomes my default. 

Lancaster County is famous for the Amish and their restaurants where meals are served family-style. This means you sit at a table with strangers and pass bowls of food around to share from. I can think of nothing worse. For an introvert, this is torture. I don't mind family-style with my actual family. But with strangers? 
And bed and breakfasts, though quiet and laid back, involve breakfast and chatter with strangers. Can't I get my tea in my room?

Alone is how I recharge. I think best without the clutter in my brain that small talk and crowds create. I'm calm inside. I may appear calm on the outside when I'm in the midst of stranger-danger (there are reasons aside from actual danger that they call it that) but inside there's a storm.

Alone and lonely are two different things. I have felt lonely in crowds. Some of my loneliest times were when I was in college, surrounded by my peers. I rarely get lonely these days. 

I know my fellow introverts can relate.

Alone, to me, is a beautiful thing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s