Skip to main content

It's Time to Put God First





The speed at which my life is passing has quickened as I've grown older.

Fifty. Ugh. It always seemed so old
But what is age? 
Just a number. 

Once you become an adult you're you. Then you're just you with a little more knowledge and wisdom (hopefully). Experience is the best teacher. Not just experiencing bucket list goals, but experiencing the burns, the overextending, the insults, the deception, the betrayal. All that life offers us.

As adults we strive to make the best life for our families that we can. We work the jobs, cook the meals, keep the house clean, and try to have an Instagram-worthy life.

But are we missing the goal? 

Before she was a Bible teacher and author, she was a Christian rock singer. Time mellowed her 80's synthesized beat and she yielded to worship ballads. A voice unlike any other at the time, I was a fan. In 1983 she released her second album, War of Love, and the last song has stayed in my head for decades. 

God Put a Fighter in Me

"My eyes may see the coming King in all His Majesty
In company all dressed in white
But meanwhile here at the world's dark end
The dragon draws the iron curtain 'round against the Light

And souls grow weary in this war of love
And seek their solace strolling down the sweet civilian ways
But meanwhile back at world's dark end
The nations see no future waiting for the serpent to strike

Where have all the Christian soldiers gone?
Where is the resistance, will no one be strong?
When will we stand up tall and straight,
Rise up and storm the gate?

How can we fail to get excited?
The battle is ours, why don't we fight it?
Battalions of darkness rise above me
But God put a fighter in me, put a fighter in me

We will sing songs of victory
We will arise and set men free
We will applaud your majesty
We will proclaim your kingdom come
We will announce the battle done
We will lift up the righteous one

Listen and you'll hear the sweetest sound you ever heard in England
It's the spirit blowing across the land
It's the voice of one who calls his bride to come and to be ready
Gentle as a dove, he comes with fire

Where have all the Christian soldiers gone?
Where is the resistance, will no one be strong?
When will we stand up tall and straight,
Rise up and storm the gate?

How can we fail to get excited?
The battle is ours, why don't we fight it?
Battalions of darkness rise above me
But God put a fighter in me, put a fighter in me

We will sing songs of victory
We will arise and set men free
We will applaud your majesty
We will proclaim your kingdom come
We will announce the battle done

We will lift up the righteous one"

The lines in bold have been what I've lingered on, repeating them and wondering, have Christians always been so....lazy?

Not all, mind you, but many. Even most. Christian in name only, but not in word or deed. No fruit. 

Galatians 5:22-23

"But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law."

These are the things that should be evident in our lives if we call ourselves Christians. Being a Christian is more than just tweeting a Bible verse or putting a Christian tattoo on our bodies. Are we spending more time feeding the wants and needs of our flesh instead of the part that will last forever? 

As Christians we need to put our the desires of our flesh behind us and focus on honoring God with our minds, time, bodies, decisions, etc. We need to allow Him to have full reign. No more living for ourselves. We aren't guaranteed a day on this planet, in this body. We are guaranteed an eternity. Where we spend it depends on who we serve today. 

All we have is today. 

It's time to put God first.

Be the fighter that He wants you to be. Fight the flesh, die to yourself, find your identity and value in Him. Especially if you call yourself a Christian. 

I'd hate for you to be disappointed when you take your first breath in eternity. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s