Skip to main content

Self Care, Soul Care, and What Matters Most





"I'm thinking of taking an algebra class, to keep my mind sharp," my seventy-eight year-old mother said during a recent visit. "When you keep pushing your brain it helps keep it active."

I laughed and said, "But algebra? It's not something you'll ever use. I had it in high school and have never had a need to use numbers and letters together."

Something I think is definitely not of God. 


He only gives us good things.

"Why not take a foreign language? That is something you could use," I countered since her church has a Spanish-speaking congregation on its campus. 

Our conversation continued and I lingered on it for several days. I thought back to the classes we were required to take in high school that I've found generally useless:

Algebra - I've not needed it. Ever. 
Chemistry - I know enough to not mix chemicals.
Biology - Cutting a frog taught me that they smell awful and look even worse.
Geometry - Never had it and have never needed it.
Gym - Um. Well. Sports. And those uniforms. Ugh. 
World History - "The Magna Farta, ahem, Carta" (true words spoken by my history teacher, Mr Caldwell) 
Music - We learned I can't read music. We learned this through flute, guitar, and piano lessons. 

And let's not even talk about diagramming sentences.

I was always more concerned with spiritual matters than with what was going on in the world. When asked to bring in news articled on current events, my classmates would provide political news and I would bring in the obscure article about someone losing a limb in a freak water-slide accident. I've never been inclined to debate political matters or even discuss celebrity gossip. It was never important to me. 

What did catch my attention was when a celebrity died. My first thought is still, I hope they believed in Jesus. Not playing judge by being saddened when their life doesn't show a reflection of belief. 
In fact, out of all my years of schooling I think the teachers who did me the most good were my Sunday school and children's church teachers. The things they taught me prepared me for life. Life here and life eternal. 

James 1:22 was the first verse I ever memorized, taught to me in a classroom in an upstairs hall in the building on the corner of 4th and Shirls. 

I learned the books of the Bible. 
Sword drill, anyone?

I learned verses put to song, "Be ye kind, one to another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake has forgive you...do do doodley-do Ephesians 4:32."

A good round of Father Abraham never hurt anyone. 

I learned how to pray.

In my teen years I learned why choosing a mate who puts Jesus first is important, why abstaining until marriage is a good thing, why alcohol, drugs, and Christianity aren't a good mix, and that living a disciplined life in accordance to God's Word is important.

Our world is constantly giving us ways to improve our lives. Products that will help with our self-care. They're urging us to take care of ourselves. I'm all for self-care, in moderation. Drink water, eat healthy, exercise. But let's not focus so much on self care when we should be focusing on soul care. Our souls are the part of us that will last forever. Why do we pay more attention to the parts of ourselves that last less than a century?

We sometimes treat our bodies better than we treat our souls. We indulge in whatever we want all week and then do our once-a-week church thing, though fewer are doing that than ever. We cannot thrive in our walk if if we aren't really walking to begin with. Silencing the alarm on Sunday morning to drag ourselves to church isn't walking with the Lord. A daily surrender, a daily observance, putting self aside for His purpose, that's what it's about. 

Drink the water, yes, but drink the Living Water more often.

It's not popular these days to draw a line between right and wrong, to speak against sin in hopes that someone will listen. We pay more attention to keeping people comfortable and affirming all of their decisions during their 75ish years of life on this planet. When we die only our flesh dies. Our spirits live on. And they will either live in heaven or in hell. We are all equal in death and deciding who we will serve while living determines our eternal home. Take care to seek the truth of who God is. Just because culture has changed doesn't mean God has. 

Psalm 119:160 jumped out at me while I was pondering this blog post. "The entirety of Your word is truth, and every one of Your righteous judgments endures forever." (NIV) That is speaking of the God of the Bible. He is truth. He is the standard. His word is unchanging. He is why we are here, why we exist, and the reason we need to spend more time on soul care. Especially if we believe we will spend eternity with Him. 

I'm not sure if mom will pursue going back to school. The thought of me going back to school makes me shiver. I didn't like it then and I know I wouldn't like it now. I will, however, continue to read the Bible and get to know its Author, for it's He who I will spend eternity with. It's what matters most. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s