Skip to main content

Don't Go Breaking His Heart



Years ago I spent some time disguised as the church secretary. 

I know, you're trying to picture it. Trust me, it was rough. While my husband may be my dream man he was definitely not my dream boss. Nor was I a dream secretary. Being self-employed is what I was created for. Well, that and the ability to make really good apple cake.

On one of these days the church door was left unlocked and I was alone in the building (which takes on a creepy edge when you're alone there, just saying) and in wandered a sobbing woman. Being the one to see who entered (read: since I was alone) I met her in the entryway and she fell into my arms. 

I sensed she needed to talk.

We sat in the sanctuary and she poured her heart out. She'd just found out her husband was cheating on her. She was devastated. She cried and talked for a long time and I encouraged her as best I could. I prayed with her and thought that was the end, but she started regularly attending the church and I got to know her. She was fun and bubbly and broken. 

I found I really liked spending time with her (let's call her Jenn). Jenn kept me updated on what was happening at home and what evidence she had of her husband's cheating. Over time the ache became less but she was still bruised. One Sunday she came to church, excited to tell me that she met someone online and was going on a date with him.

I stopped her right there, "You're still married." Her questioned look assured me my words, hadn't registered. "Jenn, you're still married, you have no right to be going on dates. You're doing the same thing to your husband that he did to you."

She didn't see it that way. I don't remember much about her after that, she didn't confide in me anymore because she didn't like what I had to say. I've found that people generally don't want to be faced with the truth of their sin. It looks better on others than it does on ourselves. Painting ourselves as victims of sin results in a prettier image than seeing ourselves stained with it. 

The Bible has plenty to say about adultery and other sexual sins (including fornication, but that's another topic for another day) but I think one of the main reasons it teaches so much about it is because the marriage covenant is held in such high regard. 

Reasoning in ourselves will tell us that God wants us to be happy, yet nowhere in His word does He concern himself with our happiness. He wants us to be holy. Obedient. And filled with the fruit of the spirit. Following His word will result in deep joy, which is different than happiness. Happiness is fleeting, joy is steadfast. We get too caught up in emotions and in our present that we overlook or negate His desire for our lives. 

If Jenn was more eager to chase the Lord than she was to chase a relationship with a man she would have been fulfilled. That man she met on the dating website, if he was who God intended for her, would still be there after her divorce was final. This little compromise, while acceptable to the world, breaks God's heart. We cannot be held responsible for the actions -sins- of others, but we are responsible for how we respond to them. 

If you're in this situation I urge you to be steadfast and true. Cling to the word of God and who He is. If you're broken, allow Him to mend you. Be still. He isn't through with you yet. Don't allow yourself to fall victim to the lies of the world. Her ways are different than His. 

I haven't heard from Jenn in years. Rumor has it she met a man on a dating site and is living the dream on his farm. I'm currently living the dream in my home office where the only person I have to answer to regarding my job is myself. ;)


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not A Blessing if you Had to Sin to Get it

Pretty strong words but also very true. I once heard a man say his girlfriend was, "A gift from God."  Except she wasn't because she was still married to someone else. Glenn wiggled in and turned her head and snatched her away from her husband and children. How dare he think God had anything to do with that. He doesn't work that way. If you want His blessings then you need to walk closely with Him. He will never bless sin. He can't. He is unable to. Sin is what separates us from God.  Glenn may think he is living a blessed life as he runs on emotions and feelings but nothing like this will prosper. In the end it will lead to destruction.  It already has. The family he destroyed will never be the same. 

Front Row Seat

  If you've been around me any length of time, you'll know I love having a front row seat when possible. Church. Concerts. Comedy shows. Auctions. I want to be front and center, where the action is, so I don't get distracted and miss something. I want to be part of the event and front is where it's at.  Lately I've had a front row seat to some things that I wish I could unsee. My mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis and the last year and a half of watching her slow and steady decline into a world of unknowns has taken a toll.  I tend to hold every emotion inside. Always have. I've learned -these past fifteen months or so- that this is bad for my health. Stress levels are impacting how I feel. Palpitations, and a diagnosis of "harmless" PACs, have left me trying to manage this stress. It's gotten easier but, I'll admit, I still have things shoved down inside. And then along came CDH. A diagnosis I'd not heard of before it was given to gran

Selling items on Craigslist and common scams

I'm selling a couple of things on Craigslist. I've done this a few times before and always, the first interested parties I hear from are scammers. This time in my listing I specified that I will not take money orders and asked that scammers not contact me. Here's the first interested party that I heard from: mr robins journeycristina@gmail.com Is it still available for sale... I replied: Yes it is. Here's the second contact from the first interested party. Note that the name of the sender and the email of the sender are different than the ones from the first contact: Clyde Wright fisherr.mattyy@gmail.com Hello, Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you Check via UPS next day delivery. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to s